Articles by Femi E. Benny
I am a doctoral researcher at Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE), Bangalore. I work on edible and therapeutic insects of Northeast India. I am specialised in entomology. My primary research interests lie in the areas of behavioural ecology and biotic interactions and conservation biology of insects. Outside work, I am interested in cooking, planting, and fabric designing.
- The story of Jakkur lake sets an example for inclusive rejuvenation projects
- Welcome to Tsomgo lake: Please don’t litter
- Managing waste to save the wetlands of Himachal Pradesh
- The monks who protect the Bhagajang wetland
Environment And Health
- India’s dietary guidelines have a relatively lower carbon footprint: study
- [Commentary] Will the COVID-19 second wave buck the trend for the Indian middle class?
- How did a once water-rich village in Goa become entirely dependent on tankers?
- Avian flu in India brings forth environmental, animal and human health linkages
Almost Famous Species
- 148 zebra loaches exported per day from Western Ghats to feed global pet trade
- What’s dangerous about these cute turtles which are popular pets in India?
- Common, yet threatened: The case of northeast India’s Malayan giant squirrels
- Newly described scorpion species from Western Ghats highlight need for more research and conservation
- [Commentary] Nature-based solutions hold the key to transform our cities into resilient spaces
- Are we overlooking the role of grasslands in mitigating climate change?
- Desert areas of Rajasthan bloom under afforestation efforts
- Reviving the critically endangered gharials in Odisha
India's Iconic Landscapes
- The toxic love for Ladakh is weighing heavy on its natural resources
- [Video] Mapping Tamil Nadu’s grasslands to protect them and know their role in carbon storage
- The development plan that could end up sinking Lakshadweep islands
- Andaman forests need longer intervals between repeat logging for recovery: study
Beyond Protected Areas
- Impact of armed conflicts on wildlife underestimated: study
- Millions of seahorses caught as bycatch in Indian shores
- Neglect shrouds Behali Reserve Forest’s biodiversity along Assam-Arunachal border
- Longest dispersal of a female tiger recorded in Central India
- Plant Man Miguel Braganza on how Konkan Fruit Fest preserves food biodiversity
- Building up carbon sinks in northeast India’s shifting cultivation landscape
- Coloured cotton from India on the cusp of commercial release in 2021
- Revival and absence of Bengaluru’s traditional crop varieties
- Bigwigs of India’s fossil-fuel industry could drive the country’s green energy sector
- Subsidies for India’s renewable sector are falling, needs renewed support, says study
- Land conflicts on the horizon as India pursues a clean energy future
- The balance between jobs in the renewable energy and fossil fuel sectors could play on India’s energy transition