Articles by S. Gopikrishna Warrier
Managing Editor, Mongabay-India. S. Gopikrishna Warrier (Gopi) is an environment journalist with years of experience in communication in Asia and Africa. Before joining Mongabay, he wrote environment stories for publications such as the India Climate Dialogue, Nature India, The Hindu, Frontline, Times of India, etc. He has been a media trainer and handled communication for international agricultural research organisations such as ICRISAT and the Africa Rice Center. He has earlier worked with The Hindu Business Line newspaper and Down to Earth magazine, and also a few national environmental NGOs.
[Video Explainer] What is the significance of the Biological Diversity Amendment Bill and why did it face opposition?
[Interview] Bittu Sahgal: “Young people want to protect the environment, but don’t have their hands on the wheel”
- [Commentary] India establishes the largest network of Ramsar Sites in South Asia
- [Commentary] Wetland champions: Promise from the grassroots
- The story of Jakkur lake sets an example for inclusive rejuvenation projects
- Welcome to Tsomgo lake: Please don’t litter
Environment And Health
- Sewing their way to a sustainable menstruation
- Continued fluoride contamination of groundwater is a glaring public health issue in central India
- In a Himachal village, people accuse a waste management plant for contaminating water
- [Commentary] Worsening water quality in Ganga’s lower stretches and what it means for us
Almost Famous Species
- What do bees see? Developing urban gardens to attract pollinators
- [Interview] Whitley Award winner from Nepal emphasises on crossborder collaboration to protect the red panda
- [Interview] Priyan Perera: Shining a light on the little-studied Indian pangolins in Sri Lanka
- Mantispids: secretive insects with lace for wings
India's Iconic Landscapes
- [Commentary] Is expansion of aquaculture in the Indian Sundarbans an ecological threat or a pathway to sustainable development?
- One year of Similipal forest fire: The hits and misses
- Grasses spur mangroves to grow in an erosion-riddled Sundarbans patch
- Scientists raise caution as mangroves erode faster along the Bengal coastline
Beyond Protected Areas
- [Commentary] Connecting corridors for tigers in Central India
- Trafficked kangaroos rescued in north Bengal en route to Indore turn the spotlight on Indian zoos
- Corridors with high human activities may not ease elephant connectivity: study
- Nepal, India need robust conservation policies for farmland birds outside protected areas
- Farmers fear low fruit production as Kashmir records decline in precipitation
- Scientists sequence chickpea genome which could inform crop improvement efforts
- [Video Explainer] What is the significance of the Biological Diversity Amendment Bill and why did it face opposition?
- Tackling agrobiodiversity loss in Odisha’s Similipal protected area