- Mongabay-India, in collaboration with the Indian Society for Ecological Economics (INSEE) is conducting a series of workshops on the intersection of journalism, environment and economics — “Environmental Economics for Journalists”.
- The second of these four workshops is planned on the 19th of July 2023. The workshop is titled ‘Economic Valuation of Ecosystem Services: Internalising Values in Policy, Institutional and Market Interventions’.
- Journalists from across the country and South Asia can apply for this free online workshop.
Mongabay-India, in collaboration with the Indian Society for Ecological Economics (INSEE) is conducting a series of workshops on the intersection of journalism, environment and economics — “Environmental Economics for Journalists”.
Though economics plays a central role in the dynamics of environmental decision making, there is not much nuanced discussion on economics in the environment media space in India. While economics and environment form seemingly disparate beats, we feel there is a need to bridge the gap and build a body of work that incorporates economics in environmental journalism. Mongabay-India has reported several stories that connect the beats of environment and economy, as part of the series ‘Environomy’.
Mongabay-India and INSEE are teaming up to conduct four workshops in 2023, and we welcome journalists and copy editors to use this opportunity to enhance their understanding in this interesting subject. We encourage journalists and copy editors from across the country and South Asia to attend these workshops (Check the eligibility criteria for more details). The events will be conducted online and are free of charge.
Though the medium of instruction will be English, journalists and freelancers working with regional language media are also welcome to apply. After the workshop, the participants are encouraged to explore and pitch stories in different formats – text/ video/ infographics.
The second of these four workshops is planned on the 19th of July 2023, from 9.30 am to 12.30 pm. The workshop is titled ‘Economic Valuation of Ecosystem Services: Internalising Values in Policy, Institutional and Market Interventions’.
The event will start with examples of economic valuation of ecosystem services for Net Present Value (NPV), estimation of state’s gross ecosystem product and valuation of tiger habitats. The internalisation of the values will be discussed from the policy, institutional and market mechanisms angles.
Session 1: Putting economic valuation to practice: A journey through the studies on NPV, natural resource accounting and tiger habitat valuation
Session 2: Valuation as a base for economic instruments: Classification and case studies of the 13th, 14th and 15th Finance Commissions
Speaker: Madhu Verma, Senior Economic Adviser, Iora Ecological Solutions, New Delhi
Read more: [Explainer] What is carbon pricing?
- Journalists and copy editors covering environmental and/or developmental issues from South Asia
- A basic understanding of South Asia’s environmental concerns
- Prior journalistic experience (at least four years)
Application process and timeline
Application deadline: July 12, 2023 | 5:00 PM IST
The selected applicants will receive a confirmation by the 12 July 2023. Around 30 journalists will be selected for the session.
For any questions, please write to [email protected] with the subject line “Environmental Economics for Journalists workshop”.
Read more: [Explainer] What is biodiversity finance?
Banner image: A birdwatcher in Hanle, Ladakh. Photo by K Suryawanshi/ Wikimedia Commons.