The rare and threatened white-bellied heron (Ardea insignis) has been spotted for the first time in a high-altitude area in India, sparking hope for potential conservation habitats. Marked as Critically…
Articles by Ranju Dodum
Ranju Dodum is a journalist writing about the neglected North East of India.
Seated on a carpet on the floor of the Buddhist monastery in Itanagar, Phuntsok Wangchuk cuts a lonely figure on this particular Friday morning. With a rather flimsy surgical mask…
Until recently, Lucheso Yobin was a full-time pastor preaching at the Church of Christ to congregations of his tribe. He now spends most of his time on pastoral activities and…
- The story of Jakkur lake sets an example for inclusive rejuvenation projects
- Welcome to Tsomgo lake: Please don’t litter
- Managing waste to save the wetlands of Himachal Pradesh
- The monks who protect the Bhagajang wetland
Environment And Health
- [Commentary] Will the COVID-19 second wave buck the trend for the Indian middle class?
- How did a once water-rich village in Goa become entirely dependent on tankers?
- Avian flu in India brings forth environmental, animal and human health linkages
- [Explainer] Understanding the science behind avian influenza
Almost Famous Species
- Elusive white-bellied heron spotted in the high Himalayas
- New marine flatworm from rare group discovered from the coral atolls of Lakshadweep
- No honey, no hives, but solitary bees have important lives
- Almost Famous species: the wild side of 2020 from forest to backyard
India's Iconic Landscapes
- Chilika lake records rise in migratory bird numbers, sees new species too
- [Commentary] Counting bulbuls to conserve the Deccan hillocks and scrub forests
- [Commentary] Isolated pockets of unique wildlife populations of Gujarat need immediate attention
- Hydropower not a very ‘green’ solution in Himachal Pradesh, finds study
Beyond Protected Areas
- Saving the Asiatic black bear from illegal wildlife trade needs nuanced conservation
- Mammals use cashew plantations in the northern Western Ghats
- Odisha plans to satellite-tag pangolins to study them better
- [Video] A mugger crocodile on shared space, fear and future
- Building up carbon sinks in northeast India’s shifting cultivation landscape
- Coloured cotton from India on the cusp of commercial release in 2021
- Revival and absence of Bengaluru’s traditional crop varieties
- India’s millets policy: is it headed in the right direction?
- Net zero debate: Where do Indian states stand on the decarbonisation pathway?
- Odisha diverts DMF funds to urban areas as mining-affected communities suffer
- [Video] The invisible impact of mining on women
- India to explore if there can be co-development of mining and ecology